Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Door County Wisconsin, Artist Heaven

Darrell and I just returned from a short vacation to Door County Wisconsin.  When I say short I mean WAY TOOOOO SHORT!  We left Friday morning and returned Monday morning.  It is a ten hour trip from Collinsville, IL to Fish Creek Wisconsin with a short break for food and gas so we didn't do much sightseeing Friday.  Still the drive was enjoyable and scenic.

Darrell had told me over and over again "You are really really going to enjoy this trip!"  He was right but I know he had no idea how I would enjoy the trip.  He thought I would love the fish boil, which I did.  He thought I would love the quaint little stores, which I did.  He thought I would love the beautiful country side, which of course I did.  But what I really loved was the way Door County brought out the artist in me.

Everywhere we went my senses were inspired to create.  By the number of artist galleries in that small county I can honestly say without hesitation Door County brings out the artist in many.  I didn't want to bore Darrell by insisting we hit all the art galleries so we didn't see nearly enough (and then too we didn't have a whole lot of time).  But I must tell you about Dovetail Gallery in Egg Harbor.  This unusual gallery is housed in an original dovetail log cabin.  The artists, a husband and wife team, who reside there have created an incredible garden of old fashion cottage flowers, garden art, wind sculptures and the most amazing copper sprinklers designed by the artist himself all along winding pebble garden paths.  As usual I did not bring a camera but I did have my trusty little cell phone so out it came snapping pictures everywhere.









The last image is their mail box.  That is what drew me to the gallery.  Darrell and I were looking for someplace to have breakfast and I made him drive back to check this place out.  The wife of the artist team decorates eggs.  She created a large egg over the mail box.  The husband told me the mail box cover was suppose to remain there for only a couple of weeks but looks like it is a permanent addition since it draws customers in.

And now I have to get to my artist endeavors while the creative juices are still flowing inspired by beautiful Door County Wisconsin!

No comments:

Post a Comment