Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Fly

When I was a very little girl my maternal grandmother would rock and sing to me a lovely lullaby.  I never knew the song and had never heard anyone else sing the little ditty except for Grandma.  I loved that song and sang it to my children over and over again hoping they would love the song as much as I.

So often I have wondered why I had never heard the lullaby anywhere else.  Was it a family song?  For the last few years I have searched through old song books trying to locate the music, but had never been successful.  I guess I am a little dim witted because it wasn't until today that I thought of doing a search on the Internet.  Well, duh, there it was and here it is.

The song was originally a poem by Theodore Tilton called The Fly and later put to words by Lowell Mason.  I don't believe the music above is the same my grandmother sang to me but I can't be sure because I do not read music.

                            The Fly
                     by: Theodore Tilton

                         Baby Bye,
                         Here's a fly,
                         Let us watch him, you and I
                         How he crawls
                         Up the walls --
                         Yet he never ever falls!
                         I believe with those six legs
                         You and I could walk on eggs!
                         There he goes,
                         On his toes,
                         Tickling Baby's nose!

Grandma has been gone for over 40 years now.  Ahh, blessed memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment