Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Louise Scrooge

I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately.  Reflecting on Christmas pasts.  No, I have never actually been as stingy as Ebenezer Scrooge, but I haven't fully partaken in the pleasures of Christmas giving either.

Why?

Back to my childhood.  My father and that big unrelenting word RESPONSIBILITY!

I have never spent more money on Christmas presents than what I have in my meager checking account just as I learned at my father's knee.  Even though this practice has given me some grief in the past from some in-laws who had always received lavish gifts on their birthdays and Christmas and thought my penny pinching gifts were some how a message to them that I did not care for them, I persisted to follow my father's directives on gift giving.

Now I ask myself, who is/was right?  My frugal father, who only once bought a brand spankin' new car because he refused to go into debt or the millions of American who run out on Black Friday with their credit cards clinched firmly in their sweaty little hands yelling "CHARGE IT!"

Once again I have to bow to the wisdom of my father.  My gifts may not be anxiously opened but my gifts are bought and sometimes made with my little hands with love and care.  And when Christmas is over I am not afraid to go to the mail box to receive my credit card bills.

So if you are one of the lucky few who receive gifts from me, know that it will not be lavish or expensive but it is given because I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment