Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Life Treasures

My house is in dire need of cleaning, truth be told it is in need of organizing all the piles of work I need to attend to but when I start cleaning I quickly get lost - lost in my own life.

I have life treasures all over the place.  Instead of cleaning I find myself touching to remember all that life has given me.  Lying neatly on the bed is the blanket my mother crocheted for Scotty, my first born, her first grandson.  I touch the tightly knit stitches and my mind's eye can see her fingers pulling the yarn wrapping around the hook time and time again creating the warm blanket for the tiny baby who is now a 40 year old man with two children of his own.  Treasures of pictures in every nook and cranny of friends, family and those precious grandchildren, each picture with its own story, an old wooden file box my mother had bought at an auction that my father decoupaged with pictures from their days in grass roots politics, my grandmother's canister set, books old and new, tea cups and hats all with their own individual story.

Wandering around my small two bedroom home is as if I am time traveling through portions of my life.  These little pieces of my life help me to remember where I was, who I was with and who I have become because of all of them.  The rock painted bright orange with splashes of red and blue means nothing to anyone else but to me it is the creation of a beautiful little two year old boy who calls me Meemaw.  All these odds and ends would not net two hundred dollars at an auction yet they are worth a fortune to me.  So I dust them and put them back on the shelf because they tell my life story.

It's the bits and pieces that create a life.  What a life I have had!  What a life I am having!

No comments:

Post a Comment