Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Scathenly Brilliant Ideas

Friday, December 30, 2011

Artificial Christmas Trees

Artificial Christmas trees have been around since 1958 when the good people of Germany produced their own wooden trees.  Later came the arrival of the aluminum tree followed by the ever so popular PCV plastic trees. 

The makers of the aluminum and plastic trees fed us the popular line "save a tree" and we fell for it.  After all the artificial tree could be used year after year and it takes years to grow new trees.

Sounded really good at the time, didn't it? 

Now scientist have found the colorful (they come in a variety of colors from pastels to vibrant neon colors like my hot pink tree) plastic trees piled high on mountains of debris in dumps across the nation will still be there millions of years later.  Not the case with the old fashion Christmas trees of our great grand parents era.   And guess what, we can actually plant seedlings and have large sweet smelling trees in under 20 years. 

What a surprise! 

I really do love my hot pink tree but it is the last artificial tree I will buy.  I will not add more to the dumpster mountains.  To tell the truth, I miss the fragrance of pine filling my home each December so it is no sacrifice for me..

No comments:

Post a Comment